By Kurtis Gosney, Extreme Alaska
There is a lot of action happening this week for UAF sports. All Nanook sports will be taking place away from Fairbanks, including men’s and women’s rifle, men’s and women’s skiing, men’s ice hockey and men’s and women’s basketball. Here is a breakdown of all the Nanook sporting events that will be taking place this week:
Men’s and Women’s Rifle: The UAF men’s and women’s rifle teams have one more regular season match this Thursday. It will take place on the road against the Texas El Paso Miners. These two teams met last November at the E.F. Horton Rifle Range at UAF where Alaska won 4664-4467. The Nanooks will then stay in El Paso the following Saturday and Sunday to compete in qualifying matches for the National Collegiate Athletic Association national championships, which will take place in Columbus, Ohio starting March 8.
- UAF currently ranks fifth in all of Division 1 college rifle
- The Nanooks currently have a record of three wins, five losses, and one tie this season
Women’s Swimming: The UAF women’s swimming team will be in action this Wednesday through Saturday as they compete in the Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference championships in La Mirada, California. The Nanooks
are going to these championships with a record of three wins and five losses in for the season.
- Junior freestyler Bente Miller has had top times in three different events for the Nanooks: The 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle, and the 200-meter freestyle, all at the Husky Invitational.
- At the end of the regular season, they were ranked 20 in Division II college swimming
Men’s and Women’s Skiing: The men’s and women’s ski teams will compete in week two of the Central Collegiate Ski Association championships in Coleraine, Minnesota on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, the women will compete in a five-kilometer, individual race and the men compete in compete in a 10-kilometer race. On Sunday, the women will compete in a 15-kilometer team race and the men will be in a 20- meter team race.
- The Nanooks currently have four skiers on the men’s team ranked in the top ten nationally in points: senior Tyler Kornfield, freshman Michael Fehrenbach, sophomore Jonas Loffler and senior Lex Treinen.
- UAF has three skiers for the women who are in the top ten nationally in points: Junior Heather Edic, sophomore Crystal Pitney, and senior Theresia Schnurr.
Hockey: The Nanook hockey team will not only be playing its final two away games of the season against the Lakers of Lake Superior State, but it will also be the last road series they will play as a member of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. As of right now, the Nanooks are in 6th place in the CCHA standings out of 11
teams. They also have a record of 11 wins, 10 losses and 3 ties in the conference and 13-11-4 overall. However, they are only one point behind the Ohio State Buckeyes, the team that UAF split their two-game series home with this past weekend.
- Senior wingman Andy Taranto and junior forward Cody Kunyk both lead the team in points with 20 each this season.
- Taranto and junior wingman Colton Beck both lead the team in goals with 10 each this season.
- Beck and freshman forward Tyler Morley lead the team in game-winning goals with three each on the season.
- John Keeney has made 462 saves so far this season.
Men’s Basketball: The men’s basketball team has only one game to play this week. This Saturday the Nanooks will hit the road to face their archrival: The Seawolves at the University of Alaska Anchorage. These teams last met at the Patty Center on January 19 when UAA beat UAF by five points. Last weekend, the Nanooks beat Western Oregon in Monmouth, Oregon by three points and Saint Martin’s in Lacey, Washington by one in overtime. The Nanooks are currently tied with the Seawolves for third place in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and have a record of eight wins and five losses in the conference and 13-8 overall.
- Senior guard Dominique Brinson
is the leading scorer, averaging 13 points per game.
- Junior forward Andrew Kelly leads the team in shot percentage from the floor with just under 55 percent
- Junior center Sergej Pucar
leads the team in three-point percentage, with 45 percent.
Women’s Basketball: Women’s basketball will play two away games this week. The first game will take place Thursday in Nampa, Idaho where the Nanooks will take on Northwest Nazarene who is currently ranked at number 22 nationally. The second game will take place on Saturday in Ellensburg, Washington where UAF will face Central Washington. UAF has not won a game in their conference this season, and have recorded only two wins for the entire year. Last weekend, they lost to Montana State-Billings, 70-50, and Seattle Pacific, 87-71.
- Senior guard Taylor Altenburg is the team’s leading scorer, averaging 10 points per game.
- Freshman guard Brianna Kirk is leading the Nanooks in three-point percentage with 40 percent