10-hour editing

10-hour editing
March 26, 2013 Kurtis

By Kurtis Gosney, Extreme Alaska

For my story this week, I decided to make a video news package about the Bowl for Kids’ Sake event that was taking place at Arctic Bowl this past Saturday. The shooting part wasn’t too bad, except for when I had to shoot my standup outside with no gloves when the temperature was six degrees below zero. I was also doing interview with a UAF student that was participating at the event. I had the interview set up perfectly: good talk space, good lighting, and really good interview, but when I played it back after the interview it looked like the guy was talking to the left wall so I could not use that interview at all. The most difficult part of the project came on Sunday when I edited the video.

Before I started this project, I was thinking to myself, “I’ve done a lot of video shooting and editing so I should remember how to edit this no problem.” Well it turned out that I was wrong. It took me about 10 minutes to remember how to log and transfer to Final Cut Express. Then it took about an hour and a half to two hours to log and transfer the video clips. When all the clips were finally transferred, I dragged my standup and two interviews into the timeline to frame up my story.

After writing my script for my voice-over and recording it using the camera is when things got interesting. Since my hard was set to read only and I didn’t know how to change that, I could not change the settings so the video could be saved to the hard drive so I had to you the computer’s hard drive instead. When I tried to log and transfer my voice-overs onto the computer, the hard drive kept running out of space so I had to delete stuff that I didn’t need or want. There was one moment where I thought I was about to lose my mind. As I was deleting stuff, the items in the folder just disappeared out of nowhere and at that point I thought that I had lost all my footage, but the computer said there it was still full. It took me about 30 minutes to find my clips and then I was able to make enough space to transfer my voice over clips onto Final Cut.

After that, I was finally able to finish editing my video without any more setbacks. When I started editing I got to the building at two o clock in the afternoon. When I finished editing, the time was 12:30 am. I had been editing video for 10 hours straight. A tedious and trying day, but I got it done. Hopefully the next project won’t take as long.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *